There has been a noticeable shift to visual social media online. The emergence and power of visual platforms such as Pinterest and Instagram have highlighted that businesses need to start thinking visually if they want to engage with their audience.
Social media platforms, particularly Facebook and Twitter, have redesigned their news algorithms to place more emphasis on visuals and showcase images. Photos on Facebook for example generate 53% more likes than a text based post. This means that if you are posting links solely featuring written text, it is unlikely that you will reach many of your followers.
Images have become ever increasingly popular with the ability for people to take photos and videos with their camera on their smartphone.
These statistics suggest that using visuals on social media is not just a trend. If you haven’t jumped on the bandwagon yet, now is the time to start incorporating images into your social media strategy.
Why are images generating more engagement on social media?
Images are attention grabbing pieces of ‘snackable’ content which users can understand and engage with easier. Images used in your social media are far more likely to evoke emotional reactions in viewers and can portray information more efficiently than text.
As people are becoming overwhelmed with content, businesses need to start changing their social media strategy to engage with users in an inventive and exciting way. Think about what your community wants to see on your social media channels and brainstorm the best way to interact with them.
How can you attract the attention of your viewers?
You need to aim to attract the attention of your audience. It is important to be original and make your content as interesting, brief, relevant and as focused to your target audience as possible.
Some simple but effective content ideas to attract your audience include making images as:
- How-to ideas where you discuss a step by step system.
- Quotes that offer inspiration and motivation.
- Tips to help your readers with a common problem.
- Checklists that simplify tasks and action steps.
Don’t be afraid to add personality to your content. People are more likely to engage and interact with a business that feels like a friend, particularly on social media.
The images that you post on social can help to tell your business’ story and share a message. Taking regular, candid photos is an excellent way to do this and everyone loves behind-the-scenes footage.
Include images on your social media that:
- Show off your product: Every business and brand has a product to display so don’t just talk about what your products are – show it off in images.
- Show off your workplace culture: Take regular pictures of your work colleagues and team events to share them with your audience on social media.
- Show off your fans: Shine the spotlight on your followers and fans. By creating a business hash tag and encouraging your fans to use it when they take photos of themselves engaging with your products, you have access to a database of images. Re purpose these images on your own social media channels and give your fans their 15 minutes of fame.
- Show off your business: Provide your followers with something they can’t find anywhere else, whether it’s exclusive photos, a big reveal or something they wouldn’t normally see. In other words, let your fans know what is going on behind the closed doors of your business.
- Show off your events: Actions shots are often the best types of images to include on your social media platforms. If you are speaking a conference, training in a seminar or hosting a brainstorm session, capture these images and share them with your audience.
Don’t forget about video
Video is a great way to give your content strategy and overall social media program a boost. Using video can present unique storytelling opportunities for businesses. Videos can be used on almost all social media platforms, including Facebook, YouTube, Twitter, Instagram and LinkedIn.
Use video to:
- Showcase your personality: Companies can show their personality through this engaging and interactive medium. ‘Wow’ your audience by demonstrating how your product or services can make a difference.
- Offer useful information: Give your users some helpful information and tips about your products and services. Think about sharing a 15 second ‘how-to’ video with you audience.
- Use testimonials: Customers are your brands greatest advocates and are a great way to tell your company’s story.
Don’t just stop at one image – create a series of images to help ensure that your business always has content to use. Consider putting these images into a content calendar, which is an excellent tool to help you manage your social media platforms and ensure you are posting high quality, interesting content.
Sydney Social Media Agency, CP Communications provides specialist social media strategies as well as traditional and online PR strategies that get amazing results. Contact us today. For more great tips visit our website www.cpcommunications.com.au or download our free Social Media eBook http://bitly.com/12GEPor
- How to leverage the selfie phenomenon in your marketing strategy
- How Instagram can help your business
- Content calendars: Why they are your most powerful social media tool!
- How to create a social media policy for your business
Download our FREE Guide to Social Media Success and learn how to get ahead of your competitors and build your business using social media.
Sydney Social Media and Public Relations Agency, CP Communications blends cutting edge offline and online PR and social media to help you gain a competitive advantage. Contact us today. For more great tips visit our website www.cpcommunications.com.au.